23 April 2010

Cry God for England Harry and St George


Today, is St. George's Day, when we, yes, I am proud to be English celebrate our patron saint, even though I live in Wales (and I support the Welsh rugby team when England are playing another nation). St. George was a 3rd century Roman soldier, martyred for refusing to deny his Christian faith. His emblem, a red cross on a white background, was adopted by Richard the Lionheart, and he became patron saint of England in the 14th century. All the countries in the United Kingdom have their own patron saint – Scotland has St Andrew, Northern Ireland St Patrick and Wales St David. Unfortunately, it is not a bank holiday, but tonight I am preparing Roast Beef, Yorkshire pudding and all the trimmings. What about pudding? Well, how about apple pie with lashings of custard?!

Today is also the anniversary of the death of the bard himself – William Shakespeare it is thought that he was born on this day too. I, like, so many others was force-fed Shakespeare at school, but when I was about 13 and we were reading the Merchant of Venice, it suddenly clicked what a very clever man he was – a pound of flesh, no more, no less and “no jot of blood”.

1 comments:

Holly said...

happy holiday! When I was growing up, a standing rib roast and yorkshire pudding was the standard menu for after Midnight Christmas mass.